Tuesday, May 28, 2013

8th Annual Candlelight Vigil


House of Ruth had its 8th Annual Candlelight Vigil. This is an event held out the House of Ruth outreach center (where I volunteer) and it is to remember the men, women and children who were killed due to their domestic violence situation. Since I am not allowed client contact because of my age, this was the closest I was able to get to hearing stories of victims and survivors. There were many clients here with their children, staff from House of Ruth and even the mayor of Pomona came to speak. One young lady told her story of how she realized she was in an abusive relationship and how she found help at the House of Ruth shelter/hotline. It was really heart-breaking to hear her story, it really made everything I had been learning about so much more real. So after a dance number, a story from a victim and a speech from the mayor, candles were handed to everyone, and after they were lit, names of people who had died because of domestic violence were called off and they were remembered. It was a really touching event, I am very glad I went and thankful for House of Ruth for helping these victims before their situation becomes even worse like the ones who we lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment