Monday, May 20, 2013

Blog 25:Mentorship


Literal

Marina Wood (909) 623-4364
mwood@hoursofruthinc.org

Interpretive

The most important thing I gained for my mentorship experience would be community involvement. While volunteering at House of Ruth I have had many opportunities to be a part of fundraisers and events where I was able to raise money for House of Ruth and also meet new people around the community.
 A few events I have attended/been a part of would be Candlelight Vigil, an event to honor those killed due to domestic violence. Here I was able to meet some clients/staff who had their own stories to tell and also the mayor of Pomona and a Pomona police officer. Another event around the holidays was the moveable feast. I served appetizers here, and it was a fundraiser where people held a feast at different houses and bought different items being displayed. There was also a skit of woman suffering from an abusive relationship. I also posted signs all around Pomona, Chino, and Claremont to promote another fundraiser: Tip-a-Cop. I helped here also, just check I guests. Here, cops from the Claremont police department came and waited table at Casa Del Salsa in Claremont, guests would tip the cops and all of the proceeds would go to House of Ruth to help their clients. And finally, my mentor Marina is the prevent coordinator at House of Ruth, one of her jobs is to go to local schools and give presentations on teen dating violence. I was lucky enough to have her come to iPoly, I even got the chance to co-present the entire presentation with her.
            All of these events (and more) have really helped me be a part of the community. I now know of more organizations and events going on, while meeting new connections while helping out around town. I am really thankful for getting all of these opportunities, I feel well connected and proud of myself for becoming so dedicated and really helping a great cause.

Applied
            
Doing my mentorship at House of Ruth has helped me answer my EQ by giving me good contacts to interview and having an amazing mentor who provided me with so many answers and so much information.
            Whenever I had a new interview all I had to do was ask Marina who I could talk to and she always had someone ready for me. I interviewed Marina for my first 2 interviews and she helped me come up with a solid EQ, and for my third interview she referred me to Sonia Ontivaros who gave me more information about my second and third answers.
            Also, when I first started volunteering there Marina gave me tons of books and papers from the training manuals filled with different foundational information on domestic violence. And ANYTIME I had questions for her, she always had an answer. Even if I just wanted to discuss something I had read, she was always ready to listen and give me her input. Whenever I was conflicted when choosing my three answers she would help me with picking the best ones. She would even give me resources when finding data for my science data report. Marina had helped me a lot. Especially with answering my EQ because she provided me with so much information and resources.


            

No comments:

Post a Comment